Like adults, it is important for parents to take care of their child’s dental care. You can keep your child from getting tooth decay by starting dental care early. Along with encouraging good habits like brushing twice a day, flossing and rinsing their mouth after eating, it is also important to take your kid to the dentist as often as possible. Regular dental checkups are important and kid dentistry is one of the most prominent sectors in the oral healthcare industry today.
Here are 5 ways to improve your children’s dental health:
1. The 2-2-2 rule works wonders in this case. Kids should be encouraged to do things in a playful way and you can emphasize on that by taking them to the dentist twice a year, making them brush twice a day and doing so for a good 2 minutes. The play way method certainly speaks with children and they are more likely to follow the routine once set properly.
2. Never ever put your child to sleep with a bottle of milk, formula or any food in their mouth. Even if it’s a small child with no teeth, you need to understand that it might hamper teeth growth and even cause dental problems in the gums and surrounding area thus making a weak base for the teeth to grow on. Also clean their mouth before putting them to bed.
3. Regular dental visits are very important for any kid. Even if your kid is afraid to go to the dentist, make sure you talk to them and explain how these visits will help them build stronger teeth and not cause any pain. You need to assure them that kid dentistry is not painful and usually involves a lot of good things that will make their smile more amazing.
4. The toothbrush and toothpaste that you use is very important. Your child’s first toothbrush should not be something that will leave their gums bleeding. Give them brush with soft bristles that bend and clean as per their sensitive mouth. Use fluoridated toothpaste and teach them to spit it out once they are done brushing.
5. Cut back on sugary juices, cakes, chewy chocolates and hard candies that tend to stick to the mouth. Do not be too strict about it though. It is okay to have such treats once in a while but make sure your kids brush their teeth regularly. Also, increase the intake of whole fruits and crunchy vegetables like cucumber for children.